Cornbread A Traditional Recipe
Whether it’s for Thanksgiving dinner or a midweek stew, cornbread so easy to make is a wonderful addition to a hearty warming cold-weather meal. I came across this a while ago and found it easy and very satisfying. You can also change it a bit by adding herbs like fresh rosemary.
- 125 gr white cake flour
- 135 gr plain white sugar
- 10 gr baking powder
- 3 gr salt
- 140 gr cornflour
- 235 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 115 gr butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees, and butter a baking pan. The one I am using is my smaller IKEA metal roasting pan. It measures 24 x 18 cm. in imperial measurements approx. 8 x 9½ inches.Hint: Cutting to fit a piece of parchment and buttering it for the bottom of the pan will help to get the loaf out of the pan in one piece.
- No need to sift anything. In a large bowl put all the dry ingredients and whisk them together mixing well.
- Melt the butter
- Mix the eggs and the milk together and add to the dry mix to just combine. Then add the melted butter. Like when making pancakes don't over mix. Just enough to combine everything.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes depending on your oven. Mine took 40 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. It's done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest on a rack for an hour then you should be able to unmold it. Let it cool completely then it can be cut into 12 pieces.